Just a short drive from the Siesta Key area (about a 30 to 45 minute drive), you’ll find the Florida Railroad Museum in nearby Parrish, Florida. Here is a museum where you actually can ride the exhibits with diesel train excursions lasting about three hours taking place each weekend! In addition to taking a train ride on the weekends, the museum is also open from Wednesday to Sunday to explore the exhibits. See decades old locomotives, cars and cabooses along and learn more about Florida’s Railroad history.
Railroad Museum Special Events
The museum also features a number of special events throughout the year including:
- Hole in the Head Gang Train Robbery – will they pull off the heist?
- Civil War Re-enactments – step back in history!
- Pumpkin Patch Express – a train ride into the pumpkin patches and kids can pick a pumpkin to take home.
- von Kessinger’s Express – a re-enactment of WWII across the French countryside.
- North Pole Express – a season of celebration.
Tip: For special events, book your tickets in advance as they do sell out quickly.
Getting there: From the Siesta Key / Sarasota area simply take I-75 North to Exit 224 and turn left on US-301-N. Stay on US-301 North for about 7.1 miles and turn right on 83rd Street East. The museum will be right there on the left side.
Florida Railroad Museum
12210 83rd St E
Parrish, FL 34219